Technology has now reached every field. Be it smartphones, smart gadgets, or even smart kitchens everything is dependent on the technology. When such is the scenario how can agriculture stay back! Rain gun is one of such technologies which makes the life of a farmer easy and efficient. In this article, we are going to discuss everything that you need to know about modern irrigation technologies such as rain guns.
What is a Rain Gun?
Rain gun is mostly used for irrigation on agricultural land. Irrigation is an artificial method of watering plants for their plants’ growth. Sources of irrigation are lakes, rivers, ponds, tube wells, etc. Generally, two types of irrigation are possible.
Methods of Irrigation
Sprinkler System – This system sprinkles the water on the crops is exactly the same as it rains.
Drip Irrigation System – It delivers water and nutrients directly to the crop’s roots zone.
Further, modern agriculture includes several methods of irrigation as follows.
Modern Methods of Irrigation
- Sprinkler Irrigation
- Drip Irrigation
- Rain gun irrigation system
- Raining by artificial cloud
Above mentioned methods can be used in undulated topography where ethnic methods fail. The main objective of using the Rain gun Irrigation System for agriculture is due to the following reasons.
- High precisely of supply of water.
- Uniform distribution of water across the area.
- Minimal wastes of water.
How does Rain Gun Irrigation System work?
It is a sprinkler-like irrigation system. It is a big pressure and volume sprinkler irrigation system, this rain gun irrigation can cover more area for irrigation. Rain gun irrigation sprinkler is available with a pressure of 2 to 7.5 kg/cm and a flow of 3 to 30 lbs. The Rain gun irrigation nozzles’ diameter range is from 10 to 30 mm and wetting from a radius around 27 to 60 m.
Components Used for Rain Gun Irrigation System
All the Rain gun irrigation components are lightweight and easy to place. Here are some names of the components of the main gun.
- Particular line pipes
- Sub-particular line pipes
- Rain gun irrigation s
- Impact type
- Reliance gear drive type
- Tripod stands for Rain gun irrigation
- Tripod stand
- Connection and attachments (Camlock connection)
- Female coupling
- Male Barbed coupling
- Male coupling
- End plug
There are six types of Rain Gun irrigation
- Impact type
- Penguin pelican
- Flamingo Rain gun irrigation
- Triangular spacing
Characteristics of the Rain Gun Irrigation
- Rain gun irrigation s on any type of PVC pipe or sprinkler pipe.
- There are also two types of nozzle for discharging water from these rain guns.
- The Rain gun irrigation is rotated in a circle.
- When the screw is down it rotates in a circle.
Advantages of Rain Gun Irrigation
- It saves 50 to 60 percent of water.
- It saves hard work.
- It saves time.
- It saves electricity.
- Its main gun provides nutrients containing 78% of nitrogen.
- Decreases so many different types of insect attacks.
- Mostly used for sugarcane.
- Less maintenance.
- Less effort for farmers.
- Useful to farmers.
Disadvantages of Rain Gun Irrigation
- Not useful in areas with significant velocity winds.
- The main gun and the raiser pipes are large and heavy.
- Water evaporation loss.
- Difficult to sprinkle uniformly.
- Regulation cost of rain gun irrigation.
Application of Rain Gun Irrigation
- It is used in large field areas
- It is used for electricity
- It is used to wash the insect and pets on crop
- For most things adjustable faculty is present
- It is used in sugarcane fields.
- It is used for the plantation of tea, rubber, and coffee.
- It is also used in fodder and green pasture for irrigation
- It can cover an area of one acre for 2 to 3 hours.
Rain Gun Irrigation System Used for Agriculture.
- It is very useful for farmers.
- Rain gun irrigation systems save time & labor for Irrigation
- Rain gun irrigation system has a droplet size & Impact adjustment facility.
- Rain gun irrigation systems can provide water up to 1 acre.
- The angle of rotation is adjustable for full circular operation.
- The rain gun irrigation system is lightweight and sturdy.
- Uniform sprinkling in all areas.
- Highly energy efficient using 2 to 5 kg/cm2 water pressure.
- Prevents salinization caused due to over Irrigation and maintains soil productivity
- Maximum germination with less water
- Rain gun irrigation system is an economical portable system with PVC underground mains & HDPE portable laterals.
- Rain gun irrigation system is a very nice system of irrigation compared to sprinkle irrigation.
Comparison of Sprinkler Irrigation System and Rain Gun Irrigation System.
|Sprinkler Irrigation System||Rain Gun Irrigation System|
|Used in a small area||Used in a large area|
|Not cover the whole area at a time||Cover the whole area at a time|
|Largely used in electricity||Less used in electricity|
|It costs around 25000-30000/-||It costs around 6000-6500/-|
Rain gun irrigation is a type of spray irrigation. Rain gun irrigation is possible due to technology. Rain gun irrigation systems use agrarian pipes and fittings. Agrarian irrigation pipes contain holes. And we use the nano punching technology to ensure that the field receives invariant inflow through their holes.
Rain gun irrigation system is the most affordable type of irrigation system. It’s suitable for crops grown in a close space like vegetables, onions, groundnuts, lush vegetables, etc.
With the help of a Rain gun irrigation system, the planter can supply constant water to the crops for the given area through spray irrigation. Through this system, water scatters up to 10- 15 bases on each side.
Rain gun irrigation is the most effective, affordable, durable & flexible product for growers who grow food crops. Agrarian pipes and fittings are easy to use and assemble if installed during the installation.
Type of Rain Guns Available in the Market
1. 50-inch size- 150 -400lit discharge,40-65 coverage area
|Inlet Size||1.5 Inch|
|Pressure||3 to 5 Kg/cm2|
|Discharge||240 to 440 LPM|
|Suitable For||Delegate Crops, Flowers, Chilly, Tomato, Onion, and Sugarcane.|
|Working Method||Half Circle and Full Circle with Automatic Jet Breaking Mechanism|
|Area Coverage||100 Feet Radius at 3.5 kg/cm2|
|Nozzle Size||12mm,14mm,16mm, and 18mm|
|7.5 HP Motor Runs||Only One Rain gun irrigation|
2-inch size – 150-550 lit discharge,50-85 coverage area
|Inlet Size||2 Inch|
|Pressure||3 to 6 Kg/cm2|
|Discharge||350 to 600 LPM|
|Suitable For||Groundnuts, Fodder Crops, and Vegetables|
|Working Method||Half Circle and Full Circle|
|Area Coverage||110 Feet Radius at 3 kg/cm2|
|1- HP Thumba Motor Runs||2 Rain gun irrigations.|
The installation cost for a portable rain gun irrigation system is very low approximately 2500/3000₹ per acre. This system is very useful for farmers to use this system and grow their life and grow the business.